Mylesie

Mylesie
I'm here for you (with limited availability)

Monday, September 28, 2009

School of Hard Knocks

Salutations Kiwis!

Sometimes the little ones get into scrapes, and in order to maintain my credo ("I'm here for you-with limited availability"), I am steadfast in my mission to help those in need as best I can, for as long as I'm amused by it. Of course, Mylesie's sage counsel doesn't begin and end with the over-21 sector.  I don't discriminate.  Most problems are universal, and we can all learn from other people's stupidity, as will the plucky little urchin who was lucky enough to garner my attention in this week's installment of "Dear Mylesie."  Read on, dear ones!

Dear Mylesie,
In history class we are learning about slavery in America. We are watching a movie called "ROOTS" which is about the triangular trade. The first scene shows an African lady giving birth, and for some reason, the kids in my class started laughing at her. I sat there totally disgusted that they would laugh at someone who is in pain. What do I do if it happens again?


Signed,
Stunned at School

Dear Stunned,

Dear, does your "education" take place in a wooden shed with a dirt floor? I don't know what kind of low brow school in which you are enrolled, however, my first observation is that your institution of "learning" is sadly lacking in the education of its young charges in the areas of diversity, compassion, and character.  Tell me the truth:  You don't even have indoor plumbing there, do you, poor darling? 

You have a choice when these things happen, my little signet.  You could go along with these wretches, (pretending you think it's funny so that you will fit in), although from your letter, it seems you are trying to avoid doing just that.  The most dangerous, yet most tempting choice is to stay silent.  Really, dear, all you need to do on the front end of it is simply say calmly and out loud, "I don't think that's funny."  It will be difficult.  The other kids may argue or make fun of you.  You will live through that.  Be brave, dumpling.  Your own character is at stake here.  Tell a parent, teacher, or close family friend about what you're going through, and have them help you to further understand why it is vital to remain compassionate, and to refuse to be silent, and to stand up for those who don't have a voice.  Read up on World War II and fascism.  Hitler didn't do all that damage by himself, sweetie-pie, and he also couldn't have done it without a lot of people looking the other way. 

Second, if the behavior of your classmates continues in the same vein, you may be forced (preferably with the help of adults) to make the leaders of the school aware that there is an unacceptable culture of mean-spiritedness in their hallowed halls. Ask for help with this.  Get others involved if you can.

What you must not do is nothing.  Go forth and testify, child.  I know you can do it, as my readers are all stalwart and courageous (and occasionally gluttons for punishment, which is another topic altogether). Good luck, lambkin!  Be intolerant of intolerance!  You have Mylesie on your side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your questions and little foibles here, kittens, and I'll try to respond to as many as I can!

By submitting material to this site, you, my little dumpling, agree to allow me to publicly post your queries, questions, problems, comments as well as my responses. I reserve the right to edit, omit names, and otherwise dink around with your post. If you wish to remain anonymous, PLEASE indicate that in the comment form, which is reviewed by me before being answered/posted on this blog.